So sometime last week Ryan gets a cough and snotty/faucet nose. Layla had had a cough for a while. Keep in mind that there is always a child in this house with a cough (there are five kids 6 and under). I ignored it and didn't worry. Saturday he was extra whiny, as was Layla. I told my Primary Presidency that I may not be in church because the kids were both sick.
Sunday morning we all got up and went to church. Neither Ryan nor Layla would go to their classes. They both just cried in the hallway. I finally got Jason out of his class and sent him home with the kids. Of course when they get home, they are totally fine.
Monday I gave Ryan some cold medicine and put him down for a nap. He took a three hour nap, but whined off and on throughout it. We got him up, gave him Tylenol and then went to McDonald's for FHE/dinner. He didn't eat a single thing, was extremely lethargic, with his eyes rolling in the back of his head. About an hour after he got up, he finally woke up. He seemed pretty normal then, running around the playground. That night I had to work and Jason called around 10pm to see if Ryan could have anything to help him sleep. (He normally sleeps through the night, but this night he kept waking up and crying like he was hurt.)
Tuesday he was holding his Rt ear occasionally, but not pulling on it or anything. That night he had a bath and when I went to clean his ears out the Rt one had all this nasty dried crust in it. I cleaned it out and put him to bed.
Wednesday he was still the same, snotty and whiny. But I noticed him pulling on his other ear. When he got up from his nap I decided that I would take him to the doctor's. He just wasn't normal.
Well, if you haven't guessed yet, he has bilateral ear infections...So now I look back and think, at what point was I supposed to know that he was really sick, as opposed to just having a cold? He never had a fever.
So the terrible mom of the year award goes to ME!!!!!
Oh yeah, if you are wondering, that mess on his face is snot...I know...GROSS!!!
4 comments:
Well, any mother worth her salt has an otoscope and 7 years schooling to be able to use it... Don't worry. You know you are a good mom. To be able to put up with 5 kids six and under puts you up there with Mother Theresa. :) Besides, you took your kids out to McDonald's as a treat. Bad mother's take their kids out to McDonald's about 4 times a week. :)
Hey, if you are bad then I am bad too because the same exact thing has happened in our house. Isaac has been sick all week and I thougth maybe he was just getting teeth. I've given him meds off and on and he has still been whiney but not too bad. When he got in the tub he screamed though and I wondered if he had an ear infection but he had no fever and hardly ever pulled on his ears. Then this morning he woke up with guck all over his eyes so I took him to the doctor and she said he had two ear infections. Last time he was sick I took him in to check for ear infections and he had none. So I asked how I was supposed to know when he had one if he never had a fever this time. She just said that most the time you won't know. Sad. So you are not a bad mom. You are normal.
I am sorry that Isaac is sick! I wish there was a little label on them that would turn from Healthy to Sick, so you would know!
I've had this happen as well. It makes you feel awful, but maybe having heard that the rest of us have done it as well helps. I'm sure we could all accept the terrible mom award at some point in our lives!
Post a Comment