Saturday, November 22, 2008

Twilight-the movie review

First of all,this post contains spoilers, so if you plan on seeing it and don't want my opinion, pass this post. Second of all, I really did like the movie, despite the following.

#1 I guess that I am secretly racist and never knew it, because all of Bella's high school friends were white when I was reading the book. They were also normal, not weirdos. I guess that leads to

#2 I am getting old also. I thought there was too much teenage stuff. For example, in my reality teenagers don't own cell phones. Yes, I know that I live in a fake reality. But, come-on. Why couldn't she just email her mom like she did in the book? Why did she have her i-pod on when she was waiting in the parking lot?

#3 What happened to Edward's "crooked smile." I don't think he smiled more than once in the movie? Also, she frequently talks about him dazzling her. Where was the dazzling?

#4 I think that they missed a lot by not including their conversations. I guess that we saw them talking a lot, and maybe that was when they talked about everything, like what they like to hunt. Like the whole history of Carlisle..I just think all of those deep conversations were really important.

#5 I am never satisfied with movies after I have read the book, so I should have expected this. They always add stuff in that seems so silly and then take out really good stuff.

All in all, I am glad I saw the movie.

What did you think?

5 comments:

Pitcher Family said...

I really can't comment enough about my thoughts, we'll have to talk some more now that you have seen it. I did like it, although I agree about many of your thoughts.

Jessica L said...

I loved it. I just finished reviewing it on my silly blog too. :) I didn't feel too old. (Maybe that's why Lenny's says I act like I'm 12.... Because I really am?) Don't worry about being secretly racist. I thought the exact same thing. I guess when they were casting the movie they took the liberty to add a little more diversity. I also missed Edward's crooked smile. He was way too serious and there wasn't enough playful banter that I love from the book. But overall, I really did like the movie.

Love your new picture of the kids, by the way.

nichole said...

I thought the casting could've been better. I've would've liked to have seen better looking, naturally fair-skinned people (a la Nicole Kidman) instead of medium skinned people with obvious white makeup on. And I thought they should've taken the eyeliner off Edward and put it on Bella.

Jessica L said...

His lipstick too.... I didn't know vampires wore lipstick....

Jennilyn said...

Worse scene was hospital sputter moment. I cringed and was looking at my watch. Thought Dr. C was horribly cast, Esme should not have said "Clean that up". Prom scene was probably the best--better than book, and loved Victoria--saw her on the dance floor with her furry back to us. LOVED the scenery. Liked Bella's wardrobe. Sheriff was perfect and funnier than book.
MORE I WOULD HAVE CHANGED TO MAKE A BETTER FILM: make Bella clumsier, much more clumsy. Show how smart she is sooner. Lose the whole beginning, mom and AZ not necessary. Work up dreaming about him night after night. More lines for Cullen family. Much MORE voice-over narration would have helped. Wigs and makeup needed lots more money and should have hired Sara Landbeck to solve some of the problems... Should have been longer film or changed more to tell the STORY, not just scenes from book. It is ok to combine scenes, conversations, actions linked, but they have to make sense as a film. Look at Austen adaptations. It can be done, but good writing is important. I would have been lost without book background, and was overall disappointed.

But glad I took Suzu anyway! Wouldn't have missed it!