Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Our latest...challenge

So our transmission in the van went out this week. Jason had put a new transmission in it about five years ago. Of course the warranty was good for three years...so we have the debate...get a new transmission and put it in, or get a new car. (New being a relative word...new to us!)

Jason doesn't really have time to do much of anything these days, least of all a major car repair. A new transmission would put us back about $2000 and honestly the car is not worth that....

I don't even know what to say about a new car, but we don't have the money to buy one. We have NEVER had a car payment and really don't want to start now...

So, my question for all of you is: what kind of family car do you currently drive (year, make, model) and how do you feel about it? Do you LOVE it, HATE it, somewhere in between, and would you recommend it to someone, specifically, me!

5 comments:

nichole said...

2005 Toyota Sienna. LOVE, LOVE it!!! We looked for a while for used ones. With the few that we found I'd do the math to compare the mileage and price to a new one. So, let's say there was one that had 50,000 miles for x dollars. Then I would calculate it against a 200,000 mile life, which is pretty generous I think. So I figured the price should be less than 75% of the price of the new one. It never was. So I figured if the first 50,000 miles cost the same as the last 50,000 might as well get a new one, right? We did get a great deal on ours, though, a few thousand below invoice. I hope that makes sense. I know you're not going to buy a new one but I've never regretted it!

Pitcher Family said...

We have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan. We like it. I don't really have much of a relationship with vehicles. If it gets me where I want to go and doesn't break down. I am good with it. Good luck!! I'm sorry this happened for you right now!

Unknown said...

We don't own a vehicle right now, but will be in the market for one within the next few weeks. I'm not sure what to look for, or even really what price range I'll settle on. I just did my taxes and will be getting about 6600. I have to make that turn into a rental deposit, a bed, a couch, and one or two vehicles(my work commuter and the family car). Good luck with your hunt! If you learn any tricks for deciding, let me know. Right now, I spend alot of time looking at:
http://voausedcars.com/01/
They sell cars that have been donated for charity.

Richards in Seattle said...

Good Luck with your decision! Our whole family car is a 1992 Chevy Suburban with 240,000 miles and we love it! There are a ton of them on the used car market and the prices are very reasonable. The biggest problem is the gas mileage. We only get 12-15 mpg. As your kids get bigger you will realize that mini vans are in fact mini. Of course because of the mileage we usually only drive it on Sundays or days when the whole family gets to go somewhere together which isn't very often these days.

While $2000 sounds like a lot of money for a new transmission, it is a lot less than another car depending on what you get.

I hope whatever you decide works out for the best.

Ralph

Monson Family said...

Ford F-150, and no, I do not recommend it as a family vehicle. Yes, we can seat 6 people, and have an awesome cab that we can haul things in. But it is way too much in gas.

hehe- I seriously doubt that you were looking at trucks for a family vehicle- but it was fun to comment anyway!