Sunday, July 25, 2010

Growing Pains

Not too long ago Austin and I were walking side by side holding hands. For whatever reason, I thought, "How much longer will he let me hold his hand?" I felt like I needed to remember and treasure this moment because he is getting to THAT age. You know what I am talking about.

The age where he realizes how uncool I am.

The age where he is more worried about his friends than his family.

The age where he doesn't want to be my little boy any more.

As these thoughts all ran through my mind I teared up (yes, like a crazy person) and started to miss these days. Yes, the days that I am still living, I started to miss.
I feel like I spend most of my days looking forward to tomorrow. And I don't spend enough time enjoying today and the little things that bring me joy. So I am going to try and enjoy life more.
I am going to not think of bedtime as often.
I am going to try and remind myself that the kids will be grown-up before I know it and I will miss the days when they used to play (loudly) together.
I am going to try and hold Austin's hand for as long as I can.

I am thinking that Austin is somewhere around 15 months in this picture!


This was at a Stake Mother/Son activity. One of our cool friends gave each of the boys a mustache to wear. They thought they were so awesome...and they were!

3 comments:

Katie said...

I totally get the way your are feeling. Lily is only two, but sometimes I feel like she has grown up too fast. The other night I was so mad at her because she wouldn't go to bed. She wanted me to lay with her in bad and read her books. After like 10 books I got frustrated that she still wasn't going to bed so I left and she cried! I was even more mad...and then she fell asleep and I started to cry because all I could think of was "what is wrong with me!!! She wants to cuddle, how long does that last?!" So I went back into her room and slept in her bed with her!...lol! It is so bitter sweet to watch them grow.

Mike and Adrianne said...

I feel that way too. Will starts school is about two weeks and I hate the thought. When did he get so old? Why can't he just stay my baby?

Likely said...

this was such a sweet post Jess. thank you for the reminder. reading what katie said was a good reminder too. I had one of those days where I am sure I did a lot more nagging and saying no than I did being nice and saying nice things. It was a bad mommy day. I love that picture of Austin and I love your mexican safari men! ha ha.....