Thursday, May 05, 2011

Living Room/Dining Room/ Office

Please read below...and then comment!!



This is our living room/dining room when all of the furniture was in there. The fireplace survived and it is currently in our bedroom!

Ok, we are considering putting a wall up between the two rooms.
We would put sliding doors in that would give us a 5 foot opening, but would allow us to
close off the two rooms.

We hung sheets up to give up an idea of how it would look.
I want opinions!!

4 comments:

Pitcher Family said...

I say just leave the sheets up!!!

Mike and Adrianne said...

I'm not sure, but I think I'm leaning towards putting the wall up.

Jennilyn said...

Applause for making the space fit your family needs. That matters more than anything else. Will you still be in this house when all your children are dating? When you are grandparents?

I love the intimacy of a small, enclosed dinning room, when it is just you and the kids, but as soon as you invite company over---whooosh, the more room the better. And when they turn into hulking-eating teenagers, there never seems to be enough space at the table. When they invite friends over...more crowding. I know your family room/kitchen is big and open, and the contrast would be cool, but you are talking to the girl still trying to think of reasons to knock down more walls (darn load-bearing wall). New house plans have more open public rooms. More integrated living spaces for crowds and entertaining. People NEED enclosed, safe, private places, too. Changing ceiling elevations, making window seats lower and sheltered invites private conversations, shared connections. If it were my space, I would make a built in banquet seating/storage along the west wall with an expanding table, window seats on your north & south windows with curtained-off-able privacy and pad the walls with incredible textile art to absorb music room practice. Make it a music and dinning hall! Party room! Christmas pagent place. Make one of the window seats a stage....performance worthy. Not the advice you asked for....I would knock down the wall between dinning room and kitchen, losing cupboard space, but opening it up further...and seriously consider installing hardware and permanent curtains to obtain private dinning room space when you wanted it.

Can't wait to see what you do! (And red pillows in your new other room, if you keep these rooms red will tie everything in!)

Nichole said...

My vote is don't do it. Maybe later I'll have time to write why. Or if you actually care what I think you can call me. :)