Wednesday, April 18, 2012

While you were out

There is a show on HGTV called While You Were Out where designers come in and change something around in your house while you go on a two or three day trip....Something like that happened at my house...only it was nothing like that....

I worked all weekend.  Friday (6:45am-9:30pm), Saturday (6:45am-8:45pm), and Sunday (6:45am-8:30pm).  It was rough....very rough....

When I got home on Saturday night I was laying in bed and Jason told me he had something important to tell me

Uh oh

While I was out, he had the talk with the kids.  Yes, THE TALK!!!!


With the kids....


all three of them....


To give him a little credit we had been avoiding it for years....like six years.  Every couple weeks the kids would ask questions like, "How do babies get inside mom's tummy?"  or "Why do we look more like dad when we were in mom's tummy?"  or "Part of the baby comes from mom and part from dad, how  is that possible?"  or "where do the babies come out of the mom's tummy?"


This weekend it was a conversation about Grandma Patti and how she is not Dad's "real" mom (she is his real mom, she is not his birth mom...but she is the only mom he had and she is the best mom ever!) and Dad doesn't share genes with Grandma Patti.  (he doesn't share jeans with her either!)  Layla said, "But when Grandma adopted you, you should have her genes now."  Then turned into a conversation, again, about how you get half of your genes from mom and half from dad....


And they had THE TALK!!!

He used the p word and the v word.  They giggled.  And they talked about marriage and the s word and how special it is between a mom and a dad and how private it is.  He also told them they can talk to us anytime about it and ask us any questions.

So, maybe I will never go to work again!  Maybe I will stay home and protect my children from their father telling them awful things like that....

Or maybe I will be grateful that he did it and got it over with so I don't have to be the one to bring it up first with the children!

3 comments:

dizzymomof3 said...

Priceless! The more I learn about you and your wonderful family the dearer you all are to my heart.

I think it is a testiment to all husbands & fathers, when these opportunities arise.

Way to go Jason! It's always funny in our home... George will have a talk and eventually the topic arises in a car ride (to anywhere) and I get a chance to add my two cents.

Bravo Crowl family! :O)

The Tall Girl Cooks said...

Personally, I'd be glad he got it over with. Now all you have to do is answer the follow-up questions! Lol.

My daughter is eight and shows no interest in any of that stuff yet. Thank heavens. ;)

Jessica L said...

Can you imagine Lenny having "the talk" with our kids? Scarred for life! That is hilarious though. Good job Jason! I agree. Follow-up questions are going to be much easier than the initial talk probably was. ;)